WHAT if I have been a victim of fraud?

What if I Have Been a Victim of Fraud?

If you find that you have been a victim of fraud and possible Identity Theft, the following steps should be taken:

  • Place a fraud alert on your credit report and review your credit reports.  Credit reports may be requested for free from www.annualcreditreport.com or  call 1-877-322-8228.
  • Contact your Bank and close accounts where information has been compromised and ask your Bank what further steps you need to take.
  • File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission by going to their website www.ftc.gov/idtheft or call 1.877.ID-THEFT (438.4338). 
  • File a "Miscellaneous Incidents" report at a police station where the identity theft occurred, and get a copy of the police report.  It can help you deal with creditors who need proof of the crime.

In addition to these steps, further steps may need to be taken for specific types of fraud.


Reporting Check Fraud

Check fraud describes a number of activities including, but not limited to, counterfeiting, and forgery.If you are a victim of check fraud, it is in your best interest to immediately contact:

  • Check service companies- These companies gather information on returned checks and report that information to their customers. Visit TeleCheck website for forgery forms and reporting. TeleCheck┬« How to Report Check Fraud - by First Data
  • Chexsystems Inc. - ChexSystems Lost or Stolen Check Hotline 800.428.9623 (this alerts retailers and other banks to the missing checks or information.) You can also contact ChexSystems to order a copy of  your consumer report, dispute any information you believe may be inaccurate or incomplete, and/or place a Consumer Reported Identity Theft Security Alert on your file.


Reporting a Phishing Scam

Remember, security tools such as PIN numbers and passwords help keep your transactions safe. Keep them private.  Learn more about how to protect your personal and financial information at http://www.phishinginfo.org/.

  • If you provided account numbers, PINs or passwords to a phisher, notify the companies with which you have those accounts immediately.
  • Even if you were not victimized, you should report phishing to the company or agency that was being impersonated and to the National Consumers League's National Fraud Information Center, http://www.fraud.org/ or toll-free 800-876-7060. The TDD number is 202-835-0778.


Reporting a Lottery Scam that You Received Through the US Postal Service

  • Contact your local Post Office for any scam that you received through the US Postal Service
  • Or contact the US Postal Inspection Service at 1.888.877.7644.


Reporting Internet Crime

Internet crime complaints may be reported to http://www.ic3.gov/